Saturday, July 27, 2013

Saturday Sewing: Refashioning a Sweater (from Sweater to Blouse)

Posted by: Esther



Today I’m going to show you how I refashioned a guy-sized sweater. 

 We bought this sweater a few years back with the intentions of giving it to one of my brothers. Years later, I found this sweater hanging in my parent’s bedroom closet, and since it was not being used, I decided to make something else out of it. One thing I loved about this sweater was the fabric. The lightweight fabric allowed me to be more creative with the style.



          
                                               Here's what I did.


            First, I began by cutting off the sleeves and a few inches off the bottom.

    
Next, I tried it on and took in the sides as much as I thought necessary. I also cut off a bit more of the sleeves.



For a nice feminine look, I gathered the sleeves & made some cuffs out of the extra fabric from the bottom of the sweater.



With right sides together, I attached the cuffs to the bottom of the sleeves, and cut off the remaining fabric.
 



I still wanted a more feminine look, so I cut off quite a bit of the neckline. I actually cut a bit more than I wanted from the back, but it turned out okay at the end.


I cut strips of fabric to make the neck a bit less open (as I mentioned earlier, I cut a bit too much off the neck) and attached the strips to the neck. Next, I made a casing and inserted some elastic.



I made this sweater (or blouse) even more feminine, by adding wave to the bottom. I did this by stretching the fabric while doing a zigzag stitch across the hem. 

 

This is how it turned out!


Although I loved the end result, I could have still added some sequences or something a bit more decorative to the neckline. That's one of the things I love about refashioning clothes--the possibilities are endless!