Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thursday Recipes: Birthday Cake (or Lighter Pound Cake)

There are many recipes I have used to make my siblings’ birthday cakes. I started with one I found on-line, but soon changed it because my siblings weren’t too fond of the texture. Lately I have been using different recipes for almost every cake I make. Although most of the recipes I use are completely my own creation, sometimes I’ll modify some that are already made. The recipe below is one of my favorites (mainly because of its simplicity). I used a recipe I found on-line and changed it to suit my family’s taste.


Here is a picture of one of the birthday cakes I made recently:


Lighter Pound Cake:

Ingredients:

3 eggs

2 cups unbleached white flour (you could possibly use whole wheat, but I haven't tried it)

1 ½ tsp baking powder

1/3 cup water

1/3 cup milk

2 tbs vanilla extract

1 cup butter

3/4th cup granulated sugar

1/4th cup powdered sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325ยบ F. If making loaves, grease and flour two 8 × 4 loaf pans. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. In a separate medium or large-sized bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Add flour and baking powder mixture. Next, add the water and milk. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.