Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tuesday Tutorials: How to Make a Skirt by Tracing

Posted by: Esther

Today I'm going to show you how to make a skirt by basically tracing one of your already-made skirts.  I intended on posting this on Saturday for "Saturday Sewing" but life got in the way of blogging.

The skirt I made was for one of my sisters. I got a skirt that fit her well and loosely traced it, along with adding a bit of seam allowance. When doing this make sure the skirt you're using fits well, and if it doesn't just make sure you add extra seam allowance.

Now, in this case the skirt I traced had a zipper as a closure, but since I didn't have any zippers at hand, I decided to make an elastic waste instead. For this reason, I made the waste wider and bigger than I would have otherwise.


Step 1) Trace and make whichever adjustments are necessary--make sure to add seam allowance.


Step 2) Cut it out


Step 3) If yours has four pieces like mine,  with right sides together, sew both pieces that will attach the front and back of your skirt. Next, attach the sides--again, make sure you have the right sides together. This is what it should look like (Sorry for the sideways picture):


  Step 4) If yours has an elastic waste like mine did, now is the time to make you casing.


Step 5) Insert the elastic: I used a special pin that's made for this kind of job, but you could easily use a large paperclip. Sew the elastic together and close your casing.



Step 6) the last step is to hem your skirt. Since the fabric I was working with didn't fray, I decided to make a decorative zig-zag stitch on the hem, but you could do any other kind of hem. 


Now you can enjoy your skirt!